Friday, January 05, 2007

I'm going to have a lengthy and detailed talk about science to some folks. Because it's my duty and 'cause I'm tired of people misusing words. Don't take me wrong, I believe words mean anything you want as long as it let you and me understand each other. Gay meant happy once... and now must people I socialize with, doesn't know that. So I'm stuck with. Yet, problem arise when people think they are using the right word on all contexts. So for instance I'm talking about physics and some Joe trying to be clever inserts "but we all know that the order of factors doesn't alter the product". It's the problem of dumbing down science. They forget the most important thing, each word without CONTEXT is just sound in the wind.

So what topics should I cover?
Important concepts tainted by "New Age"-esque terminology:
  • dimension
  • energy
  • force
  • QM
  • Uncertainty Principle
  • evolution
Words they think they know:
  • science
  • theory
  • principle
  • law
  • experiment
  • probability
  • statistics
Words they should know:
  • falsifiability
  • subconscious
  • double blind experiments
Phrases to torn apart:
  • the order of factors doesn't alter the product
  • that's an aberration, it's devolution!
  • we are the peak in evolution
  • guided evolution
Phrases to engrave:
  • People do mistakes
  • No matter how much you want it, it isn't true just because you like the result
  • People forget. They ain't recording
  • We aren't the center of the universe
  • Order arises naturally in any system
Maybe it's too much content... If any reader, could you tell me any missing concept I should address?

1 Comments:

Blogger Guillermo said...

frequency, waves, vibration, plane, "to each action there's a reaction"

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home