Friday, January 02, 2009

I tried to pick Python. It took me four days to read the tutorial (because I had to constantly remind myself the little differences with Ruby). I'm the kind of guy who mix languages if I don't remark every variation. Like lists being inmutable. Or a comma at the end for 1 element tuples.

Anyway now I know the syntaxes and read the PEP8 which looks like Python's greatest innovation. I can't imagine a project I want to do that would benefit from Python so it will be in the freezer for a while.

As I had extra time I decided to take a look at Haskell. To tell you the truth, I choose Python instead of it in the first place, because I'm tired of the FP-hype. I know Erlang and Scheme so I truly believe I know my FP. Anyway, it took me a couple of hours to read that tutorial. All made sense pretty quickly. I can't pretend to be a Haskell expert but it looks like Erlang without the concurrency plus a more expressive syntaxes. If I recall correctly, Scheme does have a delay function. Anyway, I like it and I can see myself doing something with it (that I would have usually done with Scheme). Yet, I miss Sexp.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home